Mental health and wellbeing services are available providing free support for a range of conditions such as stress, anxiety, depression, feelings of panic, and help for people of all ages who are experiencing distress and in need of immediate response. This includes support for issues arising from the coronavirus pandemic.
We are open and available to help but please remember to make an appointment first.
Telephone support – If you're struggling with your mental health or need emotional support you can call:
There are online resources to help with your mental health, whether you're looking for advice, information, local support, or ideas for improving your wellbeing, visit www.NHSinform.scot/mentalhealth
For tips on how to get through difficulties arising from the coronavirus pandemic go to www.clearyourhead.scot
OTHER USEFUL LINKS
Edspace is a Mental Health website run by NHS Lothian, service users and others for people experiencing mental health difficulties, family and friends. It includes information re: local counseling services, Self Help and Fact Sheets.
All below are brief examples of what is on the website www.edspace.org.uk
Mental Health Information Station
Every Thursday 0131 537 8650
Telephone Based Support
Living Life 0800 328 9655
A free telephone based service for people feeling low, anxious or stressed.
Living Life to the Full http://www.aod.llttfionline.co.uk/aod/
self-help course for anxiety/depression backed up with 1:1 telephone support
Mood Gym www.moodgym.anu.edu.au self-help site for CBT
NHS Inform https://www.nhsinform.scot/symptoms-and-self-help/self-help-guides mental health self help guides on depression, anxiety, social anxiety, bereavement
Crossreach Counselling www.crossreach.org.uk,
Tel: 0131 552 8901
- No fixed charge, contributions encouraged
- Wallace House, 3 Boswall Rd, Edinburgh EH5 3RJ
North East Edinburgh Counselling Service
For residents of NE Edinburgh only
- Free or by donation depending on circumstances
- 31 Haddington Place, Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH7 4AG
- Tel: 0131 557 4478
- Variety of services
- Website search for local support
- Ask GP for referral form for counselling
PF Counselling Service (Pastoral Foundation)
- Donation basis, £5-£45 depending on circumstances
- 8 Balcarres Street, Edinburgh, EH10 5JB
- Tel: 0131 447 0876
Tel: 0131 553 6660
- Individual, couple and group sessions
- Fees on sliding scale, negotiable
- 13 Smiths Place, Edinburgh EH6 8NT
Hope Park Counselling Centre
- They ask for a contribution for each weekly counseling session of between £2 and £30. Ability to pay does not affect your access to counseling.
- 8 Hope Park Square, Edinburgh EH8 9NW
Counselling in Communities
- They ask for a contribution for each weekly counseling session of between £5 and £45. Ability to pay does not affect your access to counseling.
- They are based at the Pleasance, EH8 9RR
- They also offer outdoors counseling
Mental Health Assessment Service
(MHAS) - Tel: 0131 537 6000
24 hr service offering face to face mental health assessment at
NHS 24 - Tel: 111 www.nhs24.com
Edinburgh Crisis Centre 0808 8010414 www.edinburghcrisiscentre.org.uk
Edinburgh Samaritans Tel: 0131 221 9999 www.edinburghsamaritans.org
Breathing Space Tel 0800 838587 www.breathingspacescotland.co.uk
open to anyone but primarily targets men aged 16-40 with low mood/depression; (Mon-Thurs 6pm-2am and weekends 6pm -6am)
Stress Control Classes
Free 6 week evening classes; each week focuses on a different aspect of stress, how it affects us and how to cope with it. Classes are run in a lecture format with 20-40 people often attending during the day and up to 100 in the evening. You will never be asked to talk in front of the group or singled out. You will be given a booklet to accompany the class.
Contact: Health In Mind 0131 225 8508
Dates on edspace
Coping with Anxiety Course
Small groups of up to 10 people where you can participate in discussion, share experiences and practice methods of managing anxiety. Telephone and register your interest by leaving your name and contact details on the answering machine. A course facilitator will then get in touch with you to tell you about the course and discuss if its right for you. Courses are run in various venues across Edinburgh. Each course last for an hour and a half each week, for 6 weeks.
Contact 0131 557 0718
Exercise Course – Healthy Active Minds with Edinburgh Leisure
- For people with mild to moderate low mood, anxiety and depression.
- A 12 week physical activity programme
- 12 week Edinburgh Leisure card for free access to gym, swim and classes
- GP referral after
Benefits, Debt, Employment, Foodbank and Housing Support
Granton Information Centre
0131 551 2459 or 0131 552 0458
Benefit, debt, housing.
Scottish Welfare Fund 0131 529 5299
Lothian Work Support Services 0131 537 9579
North East Foodbank 0131 554 2578
Housing – North East 0131 529 3111
Shelter 0808 800 4444